And now, here again, I'm in the same position. 14 year old me and 30 year old me have a lot in common, I'm afraid, and I'm trying to figure out how to come to terms with it! Certainly I have opinions now. But in a public online sphere like blogging, I'm afraid that sharing all of them makes me seem know it all-ish and condescending. Neither of which I am! And as for topics that aren't so opinion-based, I worry they're pointless and not interesting to anyone. Do you want to hear about Henry's fever and cough? How about the way I organize socks when doing laundry?? Somewhere in there is my niche though. I feel it. Maybe I'll just have to leave the blogosphere, only to return in oh, 16 years.
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Why I stink at blogging.
Back in the 9th grade, after marching band season was over, I was looking for a new extracurricular activity. My friend Becky (no, we're not still friends. Not EVEN Facebook friends) convinced me that I should join Speech and Debate with her. I was smart enough and could speak in front of a group. She thought I could do it (though what did she know? She was also a freshman new to the Debate Team). So I went to the first meeting. And there, our job was to figure out what topic mattered to us SO MUCH that we could speak on it, extemporaneously, for 2 minutes at a time. The advisor challenged that this should be a topic that we were PASSIONATE about. Like, we couldn't stop talking about it, whatever "it" was. When the advisor stopped at my desk (I was chatting to my friend Becky, off-task as I often was in those days. I seem to remember that she was talking up her topic that she had so much passion for - it was the Space Program) he asked what my topic would be. I vaguely said I wasn't sure, that I hadn't quite nailed it down yet. When pressed, he asked what I was opinionated about, "Uh, EVERYTHING!" I adolescently replied. "You name it, I have an opinion about it!" Clearly I wasn't answering his question. He offered some encouragement about this being easy for me then, and walked away. And I... Well, I never returned to Speech and Debate, mainly because I had no clue what I wanted to talk about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well I'd love to know how you organize your laundry (because that's something, among many, that I really suck at).
I look at blogging as a place to be honest with yourself...and in writing about it you learn more about yourself, and maybe someone else might learn something too. At least, that's what I hope to get out of blogging. I find your life interesting...I'm interested in your opinions. And I'm sure many others do as well! John told me to keep out a notepad and if I think of something I want to blog about to write it down. So that's what I've been doing...I hope you keep doing it!!
I would love to hear your opinions. You're anything but know-it-all-ish or condescending - **even though** if I had to pick one person I know who really does know it all (or as close to "it all") as one can get, it's you! So bring on the opinions! Anyone who can run a household like yours should be sharing not only their laundry sorting hints, but their opinions on life and everything else as well!
Post a Comment